Saturday, November 30, 2013

Irish Silver Counter Dish

This pretty little dish was my first piece of holloware.  It is an Irish silver counter dish, and was once in the collection of Dr. Theodore Gross and formed part of the Gross Collection of silver at the New Orleans Museum of Art.  I have tentatively attributed it to John Hamilton and dated it to 1723, which conclusion is assisted by the absence of the Hibernia mark.  The 22-lobe dish is 4 3/8 inches in diameter and weighs 3.16 troy ounces.  The scalloping along the edge of the dish is my favorite feature, and I think it a fine and distinguishing detail.  Remnants of a crest, especially the wreath, are visible to the center, and I believe the crest has been worn away through use and polishing rather than by erasure.  Although it is not a spoon tray by definition, that is what I use the little dish for.  It makes having a cup of tea that much more special.

Front and reverse of counter dish.  I love the camera reflection.
Close-up of scalloping and hallmarks.
As the right-hand photograph in the first set of photos shows, there are two scratch weights on the back of the dish, the one closest to the foot rim of 3 oz. 1 dwt. and the other 3 oz. 6 dwt.  This is puzzling to me, and I have thought a lot about why there are two scratch weights.  Which scratch weight was there first?  Was the piece re-weighed at some point?  For what reason?  I had thought that perhaps the foot rim was added to the piece later, at which point a new scratch weight was put on to reflect the new weight.  It also appears that the number of pennyweights in the scratch weight in the middle was scraped away and the "6" put above the erasure.  Does anyone have any insight to help solve the Mystery of the Two Scratch Weights?

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    I really enjoyed reading your blog!

    These are also referred to as strawberry dishes, supposedly the lobed recesses enable a strawberry to be trapped and hence easily gathered with a spoon. I always loved this fact as I suppose it makes sense - strawberries have a tendency to roll around!

    Regards
    Matthew Lafite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew,

    Thank you very much for your comment. I can tell you that I have eaten chocolate covered strawberries off this little dish! The lobed shape and scalloped edges of these dishes have made them one of my favorite forms of silver.

    All the best,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete